Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
...and Reactor 3 exploded. Reactor 1 exploded yesterday from a hydrogen build up and the same is expected to be the reason for 3 exploding.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
...and Reactor 3 exploded. Reactor 1 exploded yesterday from a hydrogen build up and the same is expected to be the reason for 3 exploding.

So what's this mean for Japan since I'm too lazy to sift through the news articles.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
10,000 estimated dead in one city alone.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Quinine Avatar
10,000 estimated dead in one city alone.

Not sure where you got that from. Some estimates put estimated missing at 10,000 for the entire country right now... but the worst death figures are hovering around 4,000.

Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

So what's this mean for Japan since I'm too lazy to sift through the news articles.

Their nuclear plant is more unstable than previously thought and is more likely to meltdown than anyone had previously imagined. On CNN last night, they were saying the government was planning to move temporarily to Hiroshima if reports didn't improve today/tomorrow because Tokyo could be in trouble if the winds are not friendly. So it is definitely a serious problem.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Wow.

(Sorry for the double and triple posting... I think it is warranted to keep updates separate)

EDIT: ......holy shit.

Last Edit: Mar 14, 2011 14:06:28 GMT by Josh

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
...not good.

– 4 mins ago

TOKYO – Japanese officials say the nuclear fuel rods appear to be melting inside all three of the most troubled nuclear reactors.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Monday: "Although we cannot directly check it, it's highly likely happening."

Some experts would consider that a partial meltdown of the reactor. Others, though, reserve that term for times when nuclear fuel melts through a reactor's innermost chamber but not through the outer containment shell.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

Source

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Don't forget that even if you don't have money, you can donate blood to Red Cross. I forget where I saw it, but apparently Japan has unusually low reserves of blood.

3:

3: Avatar
...xD

Dedicated Member

June 2006
Quinine Avatar
10,000 estimated dead in one city alone

Yahoo said:
Police estimated 10,000 dead among the 2.3 million people in the Miyagi prefecture, the Japanese equivalent of a state.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_tsunami_vanished_village

Oh, and while we're on the subject, i.imgur.com/RAfgH.jpg

There are quite a few people I'd really love to throw in that volcano.

Last Edit: Mar 14, 2011 22:43:44 GMT by 3:

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
Not sure if trolling.

Last Edit: Mar 15, 2011 4:44:46 GMT by abZebras

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Her main page video says it's a troll.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
3: Avatar
Quinine Avatar
10,000 estimated dead in one city alone

Yahoo said:
Police estimated 10,000 dead among the 2.3 million people in the Miyagi prefecture, the Japanese equivalent of a state.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_tsunami_vanished_village

Oh, and while we're on the subject, i.imgur.com/RAfgH.jpg

There are quite a few people I'd really love to throw in that volcano.

www.smh.com.au/environment/10000-people-missing-in-japanese-port-20110313-1bsgp.html

SMH is my paper, and the full story included quotes from some of the Japanese army workers helping there in which they stated they estimated more or less 10,000 dead in Minamisanriku.

EDIT: news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/japan-faces-nuclear-emergency-after-quake-20110313-1bshc.html

Last Edit: Mar 15, 2011 7:39:11 GMT by Quinine

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
"where more than 10,000 were feared dead."

While many are worried that that many are dead, only ~2700 (I can't believe I said only. ><) are confirmed dead with roughly another 4000 confirmed missing. The 10,000 tally comes from a police chief in one of the harder hit prefectures. Someone who is dealing with the aftermath and cleanup, sure, but not someone who likely has any way of gauging numbers like that. We likely won't have a solid number for a few weeks now when they call of the search in favor of cleaning up the destruction.

That said, it could hit that high. But it hasn't and the highest predictions from experts right now are standing at about 6,000 total dead.

Also, Reactor 4 caught fire last night. Only 2 of the 6 reactors remain undamaged.

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
Death toll is currently on 3373 with 6746 missing.

The situation of the Fukushima power plant is worsening and there is now a no-fly-zone around that area. American ships that were heading to the east coast to assist are now changing course to the west coast due to the radioactiveness. There has been an increase in the radio activity all the way at Tokyo today, although not at any alarming numbers yet. This is because of the wind direction which is blowing the particles straight to Tokyo (the desired wind direction right now would be from a North-West direction since that would send the particles to sea).
It has officially reached the "6th level" on the INES scale, which is the second highest only to Tjernobyl.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Japan was rocked by another 6.0+ earthquake last night. And, on top of that, radiation hit Tokyo AND has infected their remaining tap water supply.

Is there any end in sight for them?

newBookmarkLockedFalling