Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Can anyone tell me if this is worth seeing? A few friends and I were debating over it. :P

Texas

Texas Avatar

January 2012
I'm guessing you've already watched it by now but I didn't really like it. The book was better.

Clicky if you need free and dependable hosting

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Didn't actually watch it yet. Heh.

Texas

Texas Avatar

January 2012
Well, It wasn't that bad of a movie. It just kinda left a lot out and changed things :P

Clicky if you need free and dependable hosting

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Meh...I liked the movie actually it just made me a bit dizzy :P
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar
Inquire never, so always need elephants.

May 2009
The movie was cool, but the book was better.

I was lucky enough to read the books first and whilst the movie does portray them well-ish... meh, wasn't the same.

...Oh and the bloody cornucopia was meant to be golden, not spaceship...

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
I thought they actually did very well with it. I could see how it would be a hard movie to film especially with how bloody the books were. I dislike the actress for Katnis, but other than that i thought it was good and was one of the few movies besides LOTR that I actually liked the movie after reading the books first :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Okay, so everyone ALWAYS says the book is better than the movie in any case. That's true.

However, in this case, the movie does not in any way do the books justice. In the time it'd take you to watch the movie, you could probably read the book if you're reasonably fast. They're easy reads, but there's a TON of subtleties that make the books so engaging and very deep. These subtleties were lost on the big screen. To make matters worse, many of the bigger details (some quite important) were changed so that even those expecting a "Hollywood" rendition of the book were still fairly disappointed in that it doesn't even pass as a superficial introduction into the series. Having read the book, I was sorely disappointed. And having not read the book, I can't imagine people really enjoying the movie because on its own, it's garbage. It's been stripped of everything of value it had and in the end, we're left with a distortion of an already ridiculous plot. A massive gladiator-esque arena where children go to fight and die to represent their oppressed districts? With a plot like that, you either amp it up on action and special effects enough to at least make it superficially entertaining, or you put real substance in there and use the bullshit plot as a means to an end (which the books did). The movie did neither.

For my money, I'd say it's not worth the time even if you watch it for free. I mean, if you're set on it or someone really wants to see it, sure. It's mildly enjoyable and you won't regret it. But there's absolutely nothing to love, not much to like, and everything of merit the series has to offer can only be found in the books. I'm not much on fiction, but I read the entire series in less than a week (that's including time to get copies of the book and times where I couldn't read; I averaged maybe a day per book).

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Yea, there are a lot of movies that should be higher on your list. Lincoln, Les Mis, Batman.... ;)

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
Heh... regardless of plot, ramping up the special effects always attracts a larger audience. It's classic mass mentality.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
~Memzak~ Avatar
Heh... regardless of plot, ramping up the special effects always attracts a larger audience. It's classic mass mentality.

But they didn't even do that. The special effects were incredibly mediocre.

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
Yea, I guess. If they make the sequel, they better make the second arena look and function as it did in the books. If they can do that, they'll be forced to use high quality special effects or make it look like the movie was produced by teenagers with a camera...

Teg

Teg Avatar

Official Member

September 2010
I've seen the movie, I actually enjoyed it. I found it quite screwed up. However if they make any more based on the books I won't watch them until I've read the books as I recently found out it was a book series.

^General Discussion Community, 1 Month old (Created OCT. 23, 2013), Over 4k posts, Two classes for coding and graphics starting in January, and our first REAL MONEY cash competition. Check us out^^

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
I still haven't seen this... should I read the book first?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Aaron Avatar
I still haven't seen this... should I read the book first?

Depends. I feel like the movie would be shitty either way, but maybe watch the movie first since most people I know who have read the book disliked the movie.

newBookmarkLockedFalling