Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
DmC looks like a smiley that's trying hard to be cute and failing.

Ok, so, I love this game. Took me 9 hours (4.5 in two sitting) to beat it on Demon Hunter (middle difficulty by default.) I feel like the redone control scheme was actually much smoother than in previous installments. Maybe that's just me being better at fighting games now in general though.

(Mission 2 spoilers about weapons)
I freaking love the pull them to you or you to them scheme between the angel/demon arms. That's pretty epic and creates a new, better control system that lets me do very interesting combos.

Overall, I thought playing through on Demon Hunter was too easy (died once, solely because I wasn't watching my health.) I probably should have done it on Nephilim.

I've now started my playthrough on Son of Sparda difficulty. This is because I want to unlock Heaven or Hell mode and one-shot everything. :P

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
The only experience I had with DMC was DMC 4 demo, and I really enjoyed that.
I never got the game, even though I did want it, but I tried the DmC demo yesterday, and I seriously loved it.

If it wasn't so expensive, I would get it for sure.
I do indeed love the pull stuff too, nd the combo's are great. I love the demons that have the chainsaw, and come at you. I cracked up laughing in a "wtf" way when they first did it to me haha.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Stinky666 Avatar
The only experience I had with DMC was DMC 4 demo, and I really enjoyed that.
I never got the game, even though I did want it, but I tried the DmC demo yesterday, and I seriously loved it.

If it wasn't so expensive, I would get it for sure.
I do indeed love the pull stuff too, nd the combo's are great. I love the demons that have the chainsaw, and come at you. I cracked up laughing in a "wtf" way when they first did it to me haha.

If you've played the series (I have), they're just normal enemies at this point. :P They get even crazier later when you fight an assassin guy.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
A buddy of mine has this. He regularly streams it on TwitchTV because it's so terrible. I guess the dialogue is god-awful, the soundtrack is shitty dubstep, the platforming elements are overdone and feel out of place, and the combat is frustrating. I mean, that's just what HE says, but he really detests the angel/demon arm thing since I guess the enemies tend to clump together and all it does is serves to interrupt combos.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Really? I thought it was phenomenal. The dialog in ALL DMC games is awful and full of one-liners, so what was he expecting? Also, I do ignore soundtracks, so yeah, I can't comment on that.

I thought the arms let you actually avoid attacks really well by letting you warp out of the way quickly/interrupt attacks.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Really? I thought it was phenomenal. The dialog in ALL DMC games is awful and full of one-liners, so what was he expecting? Also, I do ignore soundtracks, so yeah, I can't comment on that.

I thought the arms let you actually avoid attacks really well by letting you warp out of the way quickly/interrupt attacks.

The dialogue has always been cheesy, yeah, but I guess it's just childish in this game. And I'm big on the soundtracks for DMC (I have all of them), so that was a real bummer for me. And I can't comment on the combat. I'm just saying what he said.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Chris Avatar

The dialogue has always been cheesy, yeah, but I guess it's just childish in this game. And I'm big on the soundtracks for DMC (I have all of them), so that was a real bummer for me. And I can't comment on the combat. I'm just saying what he said.

Dante: I'm stronger.
Vergil: I'm smarter.
Dante: I'm better looking.
*pause with other dialog. Start walking away.*
Vergil: I've got the bigger dick.

Yeah, childish, but still funny. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
See, like...I feel like they're trying SO hard to be cool and witty with that line (my buddy actually just got to that point and brought that same line up). It's just NOT funny. Dick jokes? Come on. I've heard there are worse lines, too. Honestly, sometimes I can't tell if my buddy is making shit up to exaggerate how bad the lines are, or if they're actual lines. I think they're actual lines.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar
See, like...I feel like they're trying SO hard to be cool and witty with that line (my buddy actually just got to that point and brought that same line up). It's just NOT funny. Dick jokes? Come on. I've heard there are worse lines, too. Honestly, sometimes I can't tell if my buddy is making shit up to exaggerate how bad the lines are, or if they're actual lines. I think they're actual lines.

Well, the lines leading up to the Succubus were pretty bad. Past that, nothing struck me as terrible. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Well, the lines leading up to the Succubus were pretty bad. Past that, nothing struck me as terrible. :P

I heard the term "fuck nut" was used. Really? I mean, dialogue alone won't make or break a game for me, don't get me wrong. But from everything I've heard, it's borderline terrible and mediocre at best. Plus, it lacks the cheesy, B-film type one-liners of the other games. Of course, this is all just what I've heard, so I'm not saying you're completely wrong, but that's just one of the things that I've been told consistently sticks out as bad.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I have this game. I got it because it was £36 for a long time, but then dropped to £25 brand new, so figured "if not now, then when?". I honestly think it's a great game.
Though, I love melee games like this, so that definitely factors into the equation.

Enemies clumping together isn't a problem either, and rarely break your combo because you have many ways to prevent it happening, so that is no issue. One big thing to do is use the Aquila weapon, it keeps enemies occupied, whilst you then concentrate on others.

I love the whole combinations you can do, switching from weapon to weapon flawlessly.
No clue if this was possible like this in the other DMC games, because I only ever tried DMC 4 demo.

I absolutely love the chainsaw guys though, even though they can be extremely frustrating, they are still funny in my eyes.

Edit:
I've actually died on this lots of times, but not from actual loss of health.
I seem to struggle with having to use angel arm, then when you have to (in mid-air) use the demon one to pull something out. :(

OR another one, I will jump and the camera angle changes, and I end up going the wrong way, and then I am too far away to recover haha.

Both ways suck ass.

Last Edit: Mar 31, 2013 6:48:10 GMT by Stinky666

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
The weapon to weapon switching was kinda there in 4, but not really. It was entirely based on the d-pad; you didn't use the LT or RT combos.

And when they're clumped together, you just use the second angel weapon... it slaughters cluttered enemy sets. :P

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Chris Avatar
The weapon to weapon switching was kinda there in 4, but not really. It was entirely based on the d-pad; you didn't use the LT or RT combos.

And when they're clumped together, you just use the second angel weapon... it slaughters cluttered enemy sets. :P

What weapons do you usually use as your primary ones?
I don't like the Arbiter, even though it can reach further, so I end up getting hit a lot using the other haha (it's just so slooow as well, the Arbiter).
I also use the revenant + aquilla. Though, I do love the Osiris. I actually like all the weapons. I rarely use the Kablooey (?). Too much effort having to shoot and then explode it, plus even for the smaller enemies it takes about 5+ explosions to kill them.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Stinky666 Avatar
I have this game. I got it because it was £36 for a long time, but then dropped to £25 brand new, so figured "if not now, then when?". I honestly think it's a great game.
Though, I love melee games like this, so that definitely factors into the equation.

Enemies clumping together isn't a problem either, and rarely break your combo because you have many ways to prevent it happening, so that is no issue. One big thing to do is use the Aquila weapon, it keeps enemies occupied, whilst you then concentrate on others.

I love the whole combinations you can do, switching from weapon to weapon flawlessly.
No clue if this was possible like this in the other DMC games, because I only ever tried DMC 4 demo.

I absolutely love the chainsaw guys though, even though they can be extremely frustrating, they are still funny in my eyes.

Edit:
I seem to struggle with having to use angel arm, then when you have to (in mid-air) use the demon one to pull something out. :(

OR another one, I will jump and the camera angle changes, and I end up going the wrong way, and then I am too far away to recover haha.

Both ways suck ass.

The camera angle thing has been a problem in nearly every DMC game I've ever played. I don't remember if it was as big of a deal in 4, but the first three for sure. It's especially frustrating when you're trying to get those hard to reach orbs and stuff.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar

Edit:

Both ways suck ass.

The camera angle thing has been a problem in nearly every DMC game I've ever played. I don't remember if it was as big of a deal in 4, but the first three for sure. It's especially frustrating when you're trying to get those hard to reach orbs and stuff.

4 had it a few times that I can clearly recall, but I don't think it was prevalent.

I never had an issue with it in 5 that I remember. o.O

newBookmarkLockedFalling