Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
So, for screenshot saturday on Reddit I'd been taking some screenshots of the game I'm working on at the moment. I thought I'd post some here too for some feedback.

Game View

Game View 2

(showing debug info for the fighter I'm flying)

Star System Overview

Galaxy View

Video - Watch in HD
YouTube Video

Last Edit: Jan 25, 2013 20:59:16 GMT by Simie

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
What game engine are you using?

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Chris Avatar
What game engine are you using?

Unity3D. C# <3

I used XNA originally, but switched to Unity a few months ago. I'd put all my game logic in a separate dll which I could just import into Unity and wire up the events to get something working within a day.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Ugh. I hated working in Unity. =/

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Chris Avatar

It has it's downsides - like not natively supporting simulating a particle effects or trail renderers in anything other than world or local space. (Where's my parent space!?)

Generally the productivity benefits and existing ecosystem of sample code/assets make up for it's failings.

What didn't you like about it? If you were using MonoDevelop I can understand you'd have hated it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Simie Avatar
Chris Avatar

It has it's downsides - like not natively supporting simulating a particle effects or trail renderers in anything other than world or local space. (Where's my parent space!?)

Generally the productivity benefits and existing ecosystem of sample code/assets make up for it's failings.

What didn't you like about it? If you were using MonoDevelop I can understand you'd have hated it.

Started in MonoDevleop and switched to Visual Studio. It might have been the combination of that, hating that getters in C# could be methods and thus not O(1) (caused a lot of performance issues), and that we were also using Perforce

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Chris Avatar
Simie Avatar

Started in MonoDevleop and switched to Visual Studio. It might have been the combination of that, hating that getters in C# could be methods and thus not O(1) (caused a lot of performance issues), and that we were also using Perforce

Ah yeah, we chatted about this before.

re properties, I don't think any performance penalty you get from them will matter unless you're accessing it in a loop of some kind. (In which case make a local copy for fun and happiness). Nothing really stopping you from using public fields instead though, which are exactly what you're looking for. (Unity actually encourages this).

Perforce couldn't have helped.

newBookmarkLockedFalling