Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I for one do not follow the stories in games.
As soon as there's a scene between missions, I am hitting A, Back etc to try skip lol.
I hate any game that doesn't allow you to skip. That's the worst. Even then though, I don't watch it, I just stare and start bitching at the tv "omg come on hurry up".

I just wanna get into the action, hence I like FPS and Hack & Slash.

So, do you follow story lines for games? All games or just some? What's your favourite one so far, or what one stands out to you as being great? Which did you think would or could have been great, but was a let down?

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Stinky666 Avatar
As soon as there's a scene between missions, I am hitting A, Back etc to try skip lol.

I suddenly hate you >:(

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Yeah, I don't get how you can skip the storylines. There's a lot of really good ones. Games like Mass Effect wouldn't be half as popular if it wasn't for the storyline, or Final Fantasy VIII. I dunno if I necessarily have a favorite, but I definitely appreciate a good storyline.

combo

combo Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
But then there are games like fallout which are awesome, but the story literally means sweet fuck all, I have over 100 hours on fallout 3 and still haven't completed the main story line
"I'd decapitate him, then shit down his neck"

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
combo Avatar
But then there are games like fallout which are awesome, but the story literally means sweet fuck all, I have over 100 hours on fallout 3 and still haven't completed the main story line

You're doing quests, right? They have story.

combo

combo Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
Nope, pretty much purely scavenging
"I'd decapitate him, then shit down his neck"

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Yeah, some games have shitty stories, or useless stories. But then there's games like Bulletstorm. While the story is fairly generic, the cutscenes are pure fucking gold. Not only is the writing hilarious, but Steven fucking Blum voices the lead role.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I love the stories. Now, mind you, there are games where I hate cut-scenes (any sports game) and will skip the shit out of them, but that's because I've seen them before.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Simie Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar

I watch movies or tv shows for stories, and I play games to have lots of action packed fun :P

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Stinky666 Avatar
Simie Avatar

I watch movies or tv shows for stories, and I play games to have lots of action packed fun :P

Why not play games to have both?

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Simie Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar

1 reason and 1 reason alone: I want to PLAY not watch. I bought a GAME to PLAY. :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Stinky666 Avatar
Simie Avatar

1 reason and 1 reason alone: I want to PLAY not watch. I bought a GAME to PLAY. :P

I think Stinky would love Metal Gear Solid.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Chris Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar

Specifically MGS4.

The hour long cutscene really did it for me.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Stinky666 Avatar
Simie Avatar

You're implying that games are solely an interactive experience, despite the obvious fact that games have become both a passive and interactive experience for the combined effect of telling a story, partially through movies and cut scenes and partially through your own actions. I get that you may only like them for the interactive part of it, but the simple fact is that that's not what games are, nor have they been for decades, so I don't understand why you would even expect that.

Besides, even if you don't give a shit about the story, you're missing out on some great cinematic artistry by skipping the cut scenes outright.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Simie Avatar
Chris Avatar

Specifically MGS4.

The hour long cutscene really did it for me.

No way has any game made a 1hr cut scene.. :P

Lucifer Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar

You're implying that games are solely an interactive experience, despite the obvious fact that games have become both a passive and interactive experience for the combined effect of telling a story, partially through movies and cut scenes and partially through your own actions. I get that you may only like them for the interactive part of it, but the simple fact is that that's not what games are, nor have they been for decades, so I don't understand why you would even expect that.

Besides, even if you don't give a shit about the story, you're missing out on some great cinematic artistry by skipping the cut scenes outright.

I'm not implying anything of the sort. I am simply saying that I personally buy a game for the gameplay and not for the stories. I just love to get straight into the action. It's one reason I don't like RP games, because I don't like just running around doing nothing, looking for stuff etc. I like to constantly be on my toes, and obviously cutscenes interrupts that lol.

newBookmarkLockedFalling