Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
In keeping with the theme of simplicity, the new support skin for their upcoming version three software.

support.hyperboards.com

You know what to do.

Last Edit: Jun 29, 2009 3:35:32 GMT by Benjamin
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Jesse

Jesse Avatar
Just a mother doing graphic designing!

May 2007
:: rate 5 :: -drools-
I don't do graphics anymore! Leave me alone about it!

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
-Logo isn't quite as smooth as it could be. There's some jagged edges, probably caused from scaling. Use vector. :P
-The arrow next to the category name is misleading. In the computer world, arrows like that generally mean something can be collapsed. These cats can't be collapsed. I suggest using a different symbol or actually making it collapsible. (This is me being picky. I'm big on user-friendliness and this isn't very friendly)
-I know you wanted a simplistic theme but you should consider making it slightly less simplistic. Maybe adding a gradient to the background (just a simple one like on SZv2 or my SZv3 concept). Also, a gradient on the top bar could do wonders for the theme.
-More of me nitpicking, sorry. The calendar icon at the bottom. Get rid of the date in there and, because it is just gray text, add the actual date in there through code. Simple little easter eggs like that can go a long way
-Add a br or two to the bottom of the page to space the bottom out a bit more. Currently too close to the bottom of the page
-Instead of having a vastly empty box to tell the user what icon means there are new posts and what icon means there aren't, why not add an ALT tag to the on/off icons that will say "There are no new posts in this board."?
-Move the searchbox up so that it is centered with the logo, mainly the text of the logo. Right now you have three different alignments going on in that area. The logo itself isn't centered in that area, the search box isn't centered with respect to the space or the logo and the area as a whole isn't centered.
-Hitting on that top bar again, I'd try an accent color instead of just a darker shade of the bg color
-Favicon is waaaaaay to busy and it looks like it is reflecting a previous logo.
-Underlines on link hovers are your friend. *nods*
-Something simple but instead of boxes for the login info and search, try a capsule. Because the rest of the layout relies on rounded squares, these really seem to clash with the rest of the design
-Maybe push the "XX Posts on XXXX Topics" to the right side of the cell to try and occupy some of the whitespace. At the moment the whitespace in those cells is far too uneven.

Out of curiosity... did you use stock icons? If so... what set? Been looking for good ones to use in my concept images I make.

EDIT: Forgot my usual warning (yes... I have to give warnings on my crits. >.>). I don't usually comment on things you did well. It's not how my mind works. I see flaws and I point them out and try to fix them. If I offended you in any way, I apologize. Do realize that I am genuinely trying to help when I write these things.

Last Edit: Jun 30, 2009 4:08:40 GMT by Josh

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
I'll try to address all of these. You'll find that I agree with most of what you say, but unfortunately, Adam did have the final say in everything.

Original logo was done in flash (easier to deal with than illustrator imo) and is fully vector. There's a loss in quality when dragging it from flash into PS; not a whole lot i can do with that other than manually smoothing it though.

The categories are actually collapsible, however as far as I know, you need to be logged in for it to work correctly.

I tried to use a gradient early on in the designing process but it was quickly shot down by the big guy. Same goes with the gradient idea for the userbar at the top. Sometimes it's just not worth fighting.

Oooohhhh, I like the calendar button idea. I'll run it past Adam and see what he thinks!

Believe me; I tried HARD to get the post icon legend removed. But evidently it's "needed" and "useful". You know how with nearly every client you have, they don't understand nearly anything you do or want to do? Yeah, this is one of them.

Because we have different skins, there are some breaks along the way so that the other skins look decent. Again, one of the things i tried to remove and was told off about. I can remove them with JS though. ;)

Don't get me started on the favicon. Seriously... don't. Let me just say that I didn't design the favicon because the one i created "didn't fit". At this point you should know that my client is very difficult to work with. The perfect example is that I did 17 different on/off icons. Yes. 17.

Another thing I tried to do but wasn't allowed to - changing the way the forms looked. I tried using rounded form controls. nope.

White space idea is a good one. I couldn't decide what, if anything, should go on the right side of the board. I agree though, it's pretty uneven.

I mainly used the FamFamFam Silk icons. They're free.

Definitely not offensive - I'm the type of person that loves constructive criticism, and I thank you for giving it to me!
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
...hahaha. I've had clients like that. They're the worst. You get absolutely no creative freedom at all.

Only thing I really have to add is that Flash can be easier to design in for stuff like this but it doesn't translate well to a still image on the web. Always use Illustrator or even the Pen Tool in Photoshop. :P

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
I hate the pen tool. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Conor Avatar

If you wanna make quality logos and don't have/don't want to use Illustrator, the Pen Tool is what you have to use. :P

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
Conor Avatar

Only because you don't know how to use it ;)

Once you've mastered it, or even can get your way around with it... it's an awesome tool.
Lucifer Avatar

Jesse

Jesse Avatar
Just a mother doing graphic designing!

May 2007
Benjamin Avatar
Conor Avatar

Only because you don't know how to use it ;)

Once you've mastered it, or even can get your way around with it... it's an awesome tool.

I can't seem to get the hang of the pen tool at all for GIMP and I can't find a tut on it, so I probably won't be getting the hang of it anytime so. I'm going to keep playing around with it like I have done with everything else. lol.
I don't do graphics anymore! Leave me alone about it!

newBookmarkLockedFalling