Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

newfieldgrafix
OK, so it's here, it's finally here.

This new update brings exciting new features such as 5-way video conference calling and a more fluent UI, with social application integration.

A Twitter like approach to "mood" statuses. We're all familiar with Twitter, so I need not explain.

I do have a slight problem with the profile privacy settings; most of which you cannot change. I personally am not fond of having my date of birth (not that it's a secret - I just don't celibate, and humans have a fascination for such) public.

However, I do like the "view public" profile, and these comparison previews, as shown below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Facebook... Watch out Google, Skype are way ahead of you guys...
Can't beat 'em, join 'em. Skype seem to have teamed up with Facebook with their new Skype app. This allows you to publish crap on Facebook through Skype, as if it were a mobile device.

Advanced settings are, of course browser-reserved.

With the apparent ease of Facebook integration, I speculate that "Sklpe Apps" will hit the scene some time soon, possibly a YouTube app, if Google become less introverted...

Just a note, video conferences will require a Skype subscription, or Skype credit.

Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010 21:56:33 GMT by newfieldgrafix

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
Ah lame, I got a lil excited for video conferences..until that last bit about it being a paid feature. *sigh*

Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010 22:08:31 GMT by Deko

newfieldgrafix
Yeah, I had it free during beta. I don't think it's open to the Mac platform, either.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Deko Avatar
Ah lame, I got a lil excited for video conferences..until that last bit about it being a paid feature. *sigh*

Me too! Man, fuck that noise.

Nocando

Nocando Avatar
clearnonsense.com

Official Member

September 2009
Deko Avatar

yeah that's retarded. kind of like a slap in the face
Recent Articles:

12.08.10 - Top 25 Albums of 2010

12.08.10 - Suicide in Ukraine Caught on Tape MUST SEE!!

newfieldgrafix
Well, they do need to make their money some how.

newfieldgrafix
XFire, makes money with it's adrevenue, and the free* adware that comes free* with the free* client...

XFire is a piece of crap too. Skype is generations ahead of Failfire...

* Nothing is free, ever!

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
I remember when it was free to call a landline from Skype. Man has it come a long way :P.

newfieldgrafix
Yeah, all the free features seem to be slowly fading out...

newfieldgrafix
Of course there are ads on Xfire. They tried to sell me ad space a few times.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
I'm really pissed at the lack of development of Skype for OS X and Linux.

I don't think I've seen an update for skype for Mac in probably 6 months. And it's been at version 2.x since October 2006.

I understand that windows may be their biggest market share.. but damn, they don't have to completely neglect their other versions!
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

newfieldgrafix
I know, I have a lot of Skype contacts that are on Macs, and I like to boast about 5.0...

My latest Skype status was:

"The world runs on windows. And if you Mac users (you know who you are) got that, I could tell you all this fact, in VIDEO and you could all switch on your VIDEO and agree with me..."

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Considering Skype is (at least still partially) owned by eBay/PayPal, I doubt Google will get too involved (Checkout and PayPal are definitely opposing businesses), but Facebook will probably get involved given their recent adoption of PayPal.

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
I'm totally disliking skype 5, really unfriendly for big convos with like 10 people in them bah.

newBookmarkLockedFalling