Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
So, I built a new computer last week that was originally intended to be a hackintosh. After some issues and realizing that it just wasn't going to be the most user friendly experience, I wiped that install and put Windows 7 on the machine. I've been a Mac user for 3 years now so I am fairly far out of the loop when it comes to Windows. So... recommend me programs here. Antivirus, media, customization, etc. Go. :P

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Antivirus: optional. I find that just being careful and not paying attention to obviously suspicious stuff is enough to avoid getting viruses at all, especially on Vista and 7. If you do want one though, I'd recommend ESET Nod32 or SmartSecurity (if you want a firewall and antispam as well).

Media: Zune software. It's vastly superior to everything else, especially iTunes (on Windows, at least). However, it can only get lossless quality for ripped CDs if it uses a WMA format (no DRM, of course). It may be worth it to use a different program for ripping. As for the few things it won't play, use Media Player Classic.

Customization: WindowBlinds, IconPackager, DeskScapes, or anything by Stardock for that matter. Check out WinCustomize to see what skins are available.

That's pretty much it. Most of the other stuff I use is cross-platform, with the exception of mIRC and one or two other programs.
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Zune Software is out of the question due to use of iPods and iTunes content. :P As for Stardock, I was reeeeally hoping there'd be a new top dog by now. Guess not. Damn.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Josh Avatar
Zune Software is out of the question due to use of iPods and iTunes content. :P As for Stardock, I was reeeeally hoping there'd be a new top dog by now. Guess not. Damn.

Stardock is still the best, but they have gotten a LOT better. I don't find any of their programs to be laggy resource hogs anymore. In fact, I'd be using WindowBlinds right now if it didn't make PhotoShop freak out, and I'm pretty sure that's more Adobe's fault than Stardock's. =/

Also, everything I bought on iTunes showed up in the Zune Software with no troubles at all. Though I probably shouldn't say any more since I'm a huge Zune fanboy. ZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE!
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
For antivirus (which is definitely not optional; an innocent google search can lead you to virus-laden websites without you knowing), go with Avira or Avast! and Ad-Aware. I find AntiVira is better for live protection whereas Avast! has better results when you scan your hard drive. I used to run both to be safe, but Avast! is a huge resource hog and if Avira is doing a good job, you shouldn't need to worry about super-thorough scans.

If you torrent, get uTorrent. If you do writing 'n' shit, get OpenOffice, not MS Word or MS Works.

Other than that, I can't really suggest mandatory programs. Things like Skype and Steam are really dependent on your interests and what you use your computer for.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Is VLC still king when it comes to movie viewing on Windows? I know that it really isn't anymore for the OS X environment.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
Is VLC still king when it comes to movie viewing on Windows? I know that it really isn't anymore for the OS X environment.

Hell yeah it is. :P It's my main one, besides iPod format videos (thus being iTunes.)

Virus:
- Avast works wonders for me.
- For passive, Malwarebytes is great.
- Also grab Spybot Search and Destroy for passive protection by blocking threats by known URLs. Helpful just in case.

Music:
Since you said iPod, then iTunes. Otherwise, yes, Zune is damn good, but the UI takes a bit of adjusting.

Video:
For in browser, you'll need to find a few plugins, but VLC otherwise.

That should cover it. :P

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Anti-virus: I personally really like Comodo, since it comes with a firewall as well. The only thing I don't like about damn near all moden virus protectors and what not is there's almost no way to actually fully shut them off.

Media: VLC is okay, but honestly, using Media Player Classic with either CCCP or K-Lite (prefer this) is a better option. Certain MKV files I have break VLC but there's no problem at all in Media Player Classic.

Do not use WindowsBlinds, that awful piece of shit program. Crack the uxtheme.dll file (and the other ones that you need to do with Vista and newer) and do it that way, so much better of an option. And just get your skins from deviantArt.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Jim Avatar
Crack the uxtheme.dll file (and the other ones that you need to do with Vista and newer) and do it that way, so much better of an option. And just get your skins from deviantArt.

How would you go about doing that? I've used windowsblinds before..

I haven't done it yet with my Windows 7 install, but on Vista I ended up having to download three files (don't recall their names off of the top of my head, but one of them was uxtheme.dll), and overwrite them using a program that'd give me permissions to overwrite the file in use (since all three are used anytime the system is up). Once I did that, pretty much any custom theme can be used.

Do a search for something like "uxtheme.dll crack windows vista" or whichever OS you use.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Jim: Avast lets you shut it off, both permanently or until reboot. :P Part of the reason I use it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Chris Avatar
Jim: Avast lets you shut it off, both permanently or until reboot. :P Part of the reason I use it.

10 Minutes
1 Hour
Until Reboot
Permanently

Well, atleast for Avast 5.0.6

Same options I have. But the two I mentioned tend to be the ones people care about most. (I do suppose I could have done the all-encompassing list as well.)

newBookmarkLockedFalling