Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
With certain words, well, with words that have a 't' in or mainly at the end, I don't pronounce the 't' properly.
It's too hard to explain how it actually is that I pronounce it. I don't not say the 't' but then I don't pronounce it as it should be. I just say it quite quickly, or that's how it seems, but that's not the case.

It's a pain not being able to, because it means I have to try remember to pronounce it properly when I say my name, which in itself is not difficult to do, it's just that when I do pronounce it correctly and because I really try, it then doesn't sound round to me.

For anyone that doesn't know, my name is Brett.
I kind of pronounce it "Bre" but with a very quick sound at the end lol.

What letter(s), if any, don't/can't you pronounce properly/fully unless you think about doing so? I don't mean using it in slang words, or chav talk and all that rubbish. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I can't say a "tt" when it is in the middle of a word. So... button? I say it "buddon." Mitten? "Midden."

I also have trouble saying the letter "r." It always comes out as a w. I had a major speech impediment when I was younger and that little mix up is the one the speech therapist gave up on. Yes, the speech therapist seriously told me she gave up and told me not to come anymore. That hurt.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Stinky666 Avatar
With certain words, well, with words that have a 't' in or mainly at the end, I don't pronounce the 't' properly.
It's too hard to explain how it actually is that I pronounce it. I don't not say the 't' but then I don't pronounce it as it should be. I just say it quite quickly, or that's how it seems, but that's not the case.

It's a pain not being able to, because it means I have to try remember to pronounce it properly when I say my name, which in itself is not difficult to do, it's just that when I do pronounce it correctly and because I really try, it then doesn't sound round to me.

What letter(s), if any, don't/can't you pronounce properly/fully unless you think about doing so? I don't mean using it in slang words, or chav talk and all that rubbish. :P

It's because you're British. Or, as you would say, Bri'ish.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar

It's because you're British. Or, as you would say, Bri'ish.

No, that's Briddish.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I don't pronounce the letter p when it's directly followed by s. Same with t. I also don't pronounce h's in words like hour or Meghan.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Eric Avatar
also don't pronounce h's in words like hour or Meghan.

I don't anyone in America does...?

I just my pants.

[/troll]

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
My written english is kinda funky, but my speech is alright.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
To be honest off the top of my head I can't think of anything, but it is quite an interesting topic.

I suppose the double "t" like josh, but then again it is there when I say it I just don't enunciate I suppose.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

I just my pants.

[/troll]

Well, that was epic. I ment... Well, I really don't know how I was going to word it. It was suppose to come out something like "Don't All Americans?"

You're still missing the point.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

Well, that was epic. I ment... Well, I really don't know how I was going to word it. It was suppose to come out something like "Don't All Americans?"

You're still missing the point.
He might get it if I elaborate that the p and t thing is for words like psychology and tsunami.

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
I've got teenageritis. I pronounce the word 'hello' as grunt, I can't help it :/

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I emphasize the wrong syllable in words like "button" and "kitten." :P I never even noticed til a friend pointed it out in January. I also don't pronounce cot and caught any differently. Past that, not sure if I can think of anything off the top of my head.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
When I say "room", I say "rum".

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar

I think that's just your subconscious...

Xuzi: Actually, I just pronounce the second parts of the word. ButTON like "a ton of cash" and kitTEN like "I have ten dollars." :P

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Chris Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I think that's just your subconscious...

Xuzi: Actually, I just pronounce the second parts of the word. ButTON like "a ton of cash" and kitTEN like "I have ten dollars." :P

That's rather weird. Though, i'm not sure if that's the proper way of saying those. I guess the best thing to do would be to watch a Royal (preferably The Queen) and see if she says either of those words and how.. :P

I just say "kittun" or whatever.

Edit:
How does one not pronounce "cot" and "caught" differently?
I'm quite common but damn, even I can pronounce those very differently :P

Last Edit: Mar 4, 2011 13:01:25 GMT by Stinky666

newBookmarkLockedFalling