Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Funny. Vista crashed on me so often that I forced myself into the habit of saving all my open documents at least once per minute. 7, on the other hand, has never given me any trouble. Flash has crashed on me and brought down my entire computer with it before, but that's Adobe's fault, not Microsoft's.

It's gotta be something with your computer. :-/
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
It's definitely your computer. Or you're exaggerating because you have a tendency to go against the current when it comes to things like this...

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
It's definitely your computer. Or you're exaggerating because you have a tendency to go against the current when it comes to things like this...

You mean like all the G1 iMacs he bought thinking they were good?

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

G1 iMac? There is no such thing. But ok? And I didn't buy my Classics because I thought they were "good", I bought them because they are vintage and there is a market for them.

And I don't know how I could be exaggerating. A BSOD is a BSOD. Didn't have a signle one with vista. And if it was my computer, why would vista run excellent and 7 not, when supposedly it should be the opposite?

The causes for a BSOD are very rarely the result of the operating system itself. In fact, they haven't been caused by the operating system itself in nearly 11 years. The problem is almost always faulty hardware, or problematic drivers. Make sure all of your drivers are up to date (don't use windows update, find out what chipsets you have and find the most up to date drivers and firmware for them).

Additionally, go through your log and find out what error the BSOD is throwing and search it to see what exactly causes it.

Also... keep in mind that Windows 7 is designed to run on modern hardware, so if you have Aero and everything pretty enabled, it may very well be slower on a computer that simply doesn't have the hardware to run it. What are the specs on your computer? What is your Windows Experience Index?

Last Edit: Apr 5, 2011 18:01:17 GMT by Jim

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

G1 iMac? There is no such thing. But ok? And I didn't buy my Classics because I thought they were "good", I bought them because they are vintage and there is a market for them.

And I don't know how I could be exaggerating. A BSOD is a BSOD. Didn't have a signle one with vista. And if it was my computer, why would vista run excellent and 7 not, when supposedly it should be the opposite?

G1 as in Generation One. Apple sucks at naming conventions. The whole iPhone Suffix crap was just dumb on their part. They had just stopped calling their iPods 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, 5.5G, etc. and then they named their second gen iPhone the iPhone 3G. Genius!

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Dude. Generation One. First Generation. Forget the Apple naming convention. The iMac G3 (for the IBM G3 processor) is the first gen iMac, thus I called it iMac G1.

I do not know how much simpler I can make this for you.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar

G1 as in Generation One. Apple sucks at naming conventions. The whole iPhone Suffix crap was just dumb on their part. They had just stopped calling their iPods 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, 5.5G, etc. and then they named their second gen iPhone the iPhone 3G. Genius!

Uh? The classic wasn't even an iMac. The first "iMac" was the g3. Nothing before that was an iMac.

@jim: I was told Windows 7 should run better and require less than Windows Vista does. Thats the main reason I "upgraded"

List of questions. Answer them and I'll try to help you figure out what's going on.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Update: I can't find any info about my BSOD because for some reason I don't have the memory.dmp file to analize to find out what caused it, and I didn't see what the error was and really can't recall it.

How often has it happened? If it's predictable, there's a mode you can boot into that won't automatically restart on a BSOD.

Find out what drivers you have and what version they are (device manager should be able to tell you), and then go out to your motherboard manufacturer's website and make sure those drivers are up to date. If they all are, then search around something like "--motherboard model/name-- BSOD windows 7" and, if you can get it, the BSOD error code (assuming it happens again and you can catch it).

Also, when you do find out what mobo and chipsets you have, post it here as well.

Last Edit: Apr 6, 2011 0:09:22 GMT by Jim

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Jim Avatar

How often has it happened? If it's predictable, there's a mode you can boot into that won't automatically restart on a BSOD.

Find out what drivers you have and what version they are (device manager should be able to tell you), and then go out to your motherboard manufacturer's website and make sure those drivers are up to date. If they all are, then search around something like "--motherboard model/name-- BSOD windows 7" and, if you can get it, the BSOD error code (assuming it happens again and you can catch it).

Also, when you do find out what mobo and chipsets you have, post it here as well.

I only had 1 BSOD. Here is my Motherboard/CPU/Graphics info:

Motherboard:
Manufacturer/Model: Acer Aspire 4730Z
Version: V1.15

CPU:
Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz

Graphics:
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Memory: 797 MB
Memory Type: 2
Driver version: 8.15.10.2202

I strongly urge you to upgrade to 4GB of RAM. But from what I see so far, it all should run things okay.

Have you tried running the hardware vendor detection from here?

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
I was told my laptop could only handle 3GB of RAM, unless the guy was mistaken (and he has helped me out a lot, so I figured he knew what he was talking about).

I'm going to try installing the latest drivers for what I have from the link you sent me. Do you happen to have MSN/AIM/Xfire? PM me your username if you do, it will make things go faster...

32 bit windows supports a 3GB max, but 64-bit allows for 4GB.

I have no issue if people know my contact info. AIM is probably best since it goes to my phone. ZeroCruel94 <-- aim screenname. mnstrgarge@gmail.com is my MSN, if you wish that too.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Jim Avatar
xmsteel Avatar
I was told my laptop could only handle 3GB of RAM, unless the guy was mistaken (and he has helped me out a lot, so I figured he knew what he was talking about).

I'm going to try installing the latest drivers for what I have from the link you sent me. Do you happen to have MSN/AIM/Xfire? PM me your username if you do, it will make things go faster...

I have no issue if people know my contact info. AIM is probably best since it goes to my phone. ZeroCruel94 <-- aim screenname. mnstrgarge@gmail.com is my MSN, if you wish that too.

I thought 32 bit Windows supported just under 4GB? I know it doesn't support a full 4, but I swear it supported more than 3GB.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Josh Avatar
Jim Avatar

I thought 32 bit Windows supported just under 4GB? I know it doesn't support a full 4, but I swear it supported more than 3GB.

3.5 technically, but some will be reserved for graphics, so it works out to just a little over 3GB.

newBookmarkLockedFalling