Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Jim Avatar
...you guys do realize that this is only showcasing the app functionality for when using Windows 8 on a tablet, right?
I'm just going based on what the article said, which seemingly suggested that this will be deployed to desktops as well. I might be retarded and reading wrong, or the article misleading, either way.

Even as a tablet, I still probably wouldn't want to use it though. I'd probably prefer something like an android tablet, or like I said, an ubuntu tablet.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
From what I have heard, the functionality in the video is how it will work on touch screen devices. Metro will still be present in the desktop version, but there will be different ways to operate it.

3:

3: Avatar
...xD

Dedicated Member

June 2006
Lucifer Avatar
That's a horrible analogy both because they are two COMPLETELY different pieces of technology and directed at two COMPLETELY different demographics.

So are both a heart and pump, but I think that analogy works just fine. :D Quit being such a stubborn douche for once.

Lucifer Avatar
Your other analogy also sucks. Google may be plain, but it's not an eyesore. This IS an eyesore. It's not just a shitty design, but it's distracting as well. Google looks the way it does because it started in an age of simplicity and remains that way because it's recognizable.

Oh, I don't think so. The Metro UI seems to be doing quite well on every other device that uses it.

I'd rather see colorful blocks than a plain white background. :P

Last Edit: Jun 5, 2011 17:41:15 GMT by 3:

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
That's a horrible analogy both because they are two COMPLETELY different pieces of technology and directed at two COMPLETELY different demographics.

So are both a heart and pump, but I think that analogy works just fine. :D Quit being such a stubborn douche for once.
I hardly think negating comparing legos to a ui design makes him a stubborn douche. They really are two completely different things.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Lucifer Avatar

Having an opinion doesn't make me a stubborn douche. Refusing to acknowledge that you have a stupid analogy does.

Also, a heart IS a pump. You're a moron.

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
Everyone chill the fuck out.

Sorry, I've always wanted to say that..

On the subject of windows 8, I'm sure like everything else it'll take some getting used to but I'll probably end up liking it. And I guess I'm a sucker for pretty colors 'cause I like the way it looks. :P It's hard to make simple not look boring.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Deko Avatar

On the subject of windows 8, I'm sure like everything else it'll take some getting used to but I'll probably end up liking it. And I guess I'm a sucker for pretty colors 'cause I like the way it looks. :P It's hard to make simple not look boring.

But that's true of anything. Eventually you'll get used to anything. I don't think that makes it good.

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Deko Avatar

But that's true of anything. Eventually you'll get used to anything. I don't think that makes it good.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad either. Take facebook for example. When I first had facebook, I didn't like it. It didn't really have the same features as myspace, and I remember I was specifically disappointed it didn't have a music player. But eventually I came to appreciate it. It was simple and much faster. Even without profile customization or a music player it was just a better, more polished product. Now that's not to say that will be the case for Windows 8. It could totally suck wang. But I'll at least give it a chance.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Deko Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad either. Take facebook for example. When I first had facebook, I didn't like it. It didn't really have the same features as myspace, and I remember I was specifically disappointed it didn't have a music player. But eventually I came to appreciate it. It was simple and much faster. Even without profile customization or a music player it was just a better, more polished product. Now that's not to say that will be the case for Windows 8. It could totally suck wang. But I'll at least give it a chance.

Facebook also lacked a horrifying mix of rainbow colors--the kind of thing you'd find on MySpace or Windows 8.

Just because simple is popular doesn't mean that simple=good in every case.

Last Edit: Jun 8, 2011 16:13:58 GMT by Lucifer

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I told Josh this on MSN, but I hate the Metro UI. It does not appeal to me in any way, shape, or form. I even hate it on mobile products. I do agree that it'll be "not bad" for a tablet, but if it comes on Windows 8 -without- aero or classic, I may very well downgrade. (If they have aero though, consider that comment invalid.)

As far as the actual OS... the fact we can use HTML/CSS/JS to develop apps will be amazing. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling