Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/microsoft-unveils-windows-8-tablet-prototypes/

I'll skip the write up since Engadget and the MS video they have does it better than I ever could, but MS showed off Windows 8 yesterday. Thoughts?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Gross.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I agree, looks retarded.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
It doesn't look as bad as all you guys seem to be making out. What's wrong with it?

3:

3: Avatar
...xD

Dedicated Member

June 2006
It's different.

I like it, and think the people who are saying they don't like it will end up buying it anyway.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I personally love Metro UI and love that they are adding it to Windows 8, especially given that Aero will still be included.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
What's wrong with it? A conglomeration of ugly, flashy colors, simplistic design, and ultimately just tasteless paint bucket fill-ins for the BGs. There's no gloss, gradient, or anything. Absolutely not artistic talent went into this design. Not as far as the style is concerned nor the color scheme itself (if you could call "rainbow" a color scheme). As far as its functionality and the way you interact with it, it's completely generic. It's the same shit we've seen before, but in a disgustingly plain, Easter-egg design, but minus the fun.

Really, tell me what's GOOD about it. And don't say a word about the simplicity and minimalism. There's simple, and then there's lazy. There's a very big difference. This just looks uninspired and unfinished.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I see quite a few gradients, especially on the top-right tile in the main screenshot. I really can't say much more than that I totally disagree with you. I didn't, and still don't, see any of the problems you describe with it.

I don't know what you're expecting from this interface, a brand new full-featured UI for windows? For what it is, Microsoft's attempted solution to the iPad problem, it looks like it might do alright.

Last Edit: Jun 3, 2011 9:31:58 GMT by Simie

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
It just looks entirely bland and uninteresting. Well, about as bland as tacky, overly vibrant and non-matching colors can be. There's just nothing to it. It's a bunch of randomly brightly colored blocks. When you click them, the whole screen becomes that color and it's awful.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Tablets are understandable, but trying to release this as a desktop/laptop ui just seems retarded.

Ultimate tablet UI:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpHxHuaJ0X8

Or just ubuntu unity, which is also optionally deployed to desktops.

3:

...xD

Dedicated Member

June 2006
Lucifer Avatar
It just looks entirely bland and uninteresting. Well, about as bland as tacky, overly vibrant and non-matching colors can be. There's just nothing to it. It's a bunch of randomly brightly colored blocks.

You could say the same about Lego bricks, but everyone loves them.

It's an operating system. You're going to use it, not stare at the background 24/7. If people cared more about appearance than functionality, Bing would be far more popular than Google.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
xmsteel Avatar
It's different.

I like it, and think the people who are saying they don't like it will end up buying it anyway.

I won't. Even if I did want it, I still wouldn't "buy" it.

----

They totally changed what windows is. Absolutely stupid... Whats wrong with the way windows 7 looks? Now they just made it look like a 1st grader would.

What's wrong with the way Windows 7 looks? Could be that its terrible to use on a tablet, which is exactly what this interface is designed for.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Lucifer Avatar
It just looks entirely bland and uninteresting. Well, about as bland as tacky, overly vibrant and non-matching colors can be. There's just nothing to it. It's a bunch of randomly brightly colored blocks.

You could say the same about Lego bricks, but everyone loves them.

That's a horrible analogy both because they are two COMPLETELY different pieces of technology and directed at two COMPLETELY different demographics.

Your other analogy also sucks. Google may be plain, but it's not an eyesore. This IS an eyesore. It's not just a shitty design, but it's distracting as well. Google looks the way it does because it started in an age of simplicity and remains that way because it's recognizable.

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Simie Avatar

What's wrong with the way Windows 7 looks? Could be that its terrible to use on a tablet, which is exactly what this interface is designed for.

Works fine for me. I tested it on touch screen computers at the stores and didn't have problems.

I think he meant whilst it works on tablets, it's not very intuitive and ergonomic to use it. Tiles are much more user friendly when it comes to touch screens and tablets. Similarly, I can't imagine that windows 8 users will get full satisfaction using it on a desktop with a mouse and keyboard.

But I agree, it does look like somebody went back to basics and used paint to design it.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
...you guys do realize that this is only showcasing the app functionality for when using Windows 8 on a tablet, right?

newBookmarkLockedFalling