Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
So, Verizon is dropping their unlimited plan (a thread all its own that should be made), and I want to get my new phone before then in case it forces a contract renewal. I don't think it should, but I like my unlimited data.

So, with that, what phones should I be looking at? I want a smart phone, and I'll be honest, I'm really only looking at BlackBerry, Android, or iPhone. I've almost entirely ruled out BB since they haven't come close to catching the other to OSes. I do like my current phone, but it's not nearly good enough and doesn't offer what I want in terms of apps.

So, recommend away. :P Articles are a bonus.

Edit: And for the fun of it, 25 points to whoever guesses what phone I get -before- I get it. One guess per person. Multiple people can guess the same phone and multiple people can win. :P

Last Edit: Jun 27, 2011 13:23:16 GMT by Chris

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Get anything other than an iPhone or BlackBerry..
All my bro's g/f keeps going on about is getting that new BB that is out.. The tablet thing.
Though, just the look of a BB doesn't appeal to me at all, so I wouldn't go for any BB.

What about Nokia, they have some decent ones...? The E7 or whatever it's called seems decent enough.

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
Get an iPhone. Then we can be iPhone buuuudies~ c:
Signature coming~

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Fuck iPhones. Get some sort of Droid. I love my Droid X. It's got a huge screen, runs well, and has tons of apps (obviously). However, I foresee you getting a Droid 2...

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I would suggest an iPhone, but since they are likely dropping their unlimited plans at the same time as the iPhone 5 is released, I wouldn't get one unless you'd be happy with your phone being obsolete the moment you buy it.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
HTC ThunderBolt.

Then root it and put CyanogenMod 7 on it.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Stinky666 Avatar
All my bro's g/f keeps going on about is getting that new BB that is out.. The tablet thing.
Though, just the look of a BB doesn't appeal to me at all, so I wouldn't go for any BB.

What about Nokia, they have some decent ones...? The E7 or whatever it's called seems decent enough.

Why would you get a phone that has an operating system that Nokia has already publicly said they will stop supporting in the next year in favor of Windows Phone 7?

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Josh Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar

Why would you get a phone that has an operating system that Nokia has already publicly said they will stop supporting in the next year in favor of Windows Phone 7?

I don't have a clue.. I don't follow tech and especially not mobile phones.
My one is a 3220 Nokia, from something like 2004. Remember those?
I literally just need a phone to use for calls and texts. The simple old days.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Stinky666 Avatar
Josh Avatar

However, I'm looking at a smart phone, and as Josh pointed out, there smart phones aren't the best bet.

also, I refuse to use Windows 7. I hate the design. :P So don't bother suggesting those.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Chris Avatar
Stinky666 Avatar

However, I'm looking at a smart phone, and as Josh pointed out, there smart phones aren't the best bet.

also, I refuse to use Windows 7. I hate the design. :P So don't bother suggesting those.

One of my buddies, who's notoriously hard to please, has a WP7, and he loves it. :P

I had an iPhone for a few months, and I hated it enough to switch to Sprint and get an EVO. That being said, the EVO is pretty good. Well, it's good with Android 2.3.3 at least. I was annoyed at the laggy UI for the longest time, but the Android update fixes that. :)
wat

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
EVO is Sprint though.

EVO Plus is coming, too. :D

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Josh Avatar
EVO is Sprint though.

EVO Plus is coming, too. :D

You can flash an EVO to work on Straight Talk (which uses Verizon's network), and it's only $45 a month for basically unlimited everything.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yeah, I'm limited to Verizon and taking advantage of my free upgrade... I don't think flashing a phone from another network is an option. :P

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
iPhoooooone buuuuuuddies. Do it. DO IT.

Besides, I love my iPhone. It's great :] My boyfriend has a W7 phone, and it sucks, so good decision there (he loves it, but he has no taste).

Signature coming~

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
DO NOT get an iPhone right now. It's gone beyond its 12 month life cycle and we should see an update really soon, especially with the stiff competition from Android and, surprisingly, Windows Phone 7. Not to mention they only have year old devices to throw iOS5 onto right now, not something Apple enjoys.

newBookmarkLockedFalling