Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
So, what features is everyone most looking forward to in v5?

Personally, I'm looking at the templating system and plugin system, solely because they make my life a lot easier to help you guys. :P

However, things like user tagging and multi-quote are also nice to have built in.

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
I'm just looking forward to coding for PB again, with basically a whole new system to work with there's a lot of ideas we can come up with :)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
crazynarutard Avatar
I'm just looking forward to coding for PB again, with basically a whole new system to work with there's a lot of ideas we can come up with :)

Definitely. :) Did you get a test board yet CJ?

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
I am looking forward to a lot, but I am also not looking forward to stuff like running out of keys or plugin space :P
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
Chris Avatar
crazynarutard Avatar

You have to enter your e-mail to get a key or something right? Guess I'm waiting for the mail back or w/e

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
crazynarutard Avatar
Chris Avatar

You have to enter your e-mail to get a key or something right? Guess I'm waiting for the mail back or w/e

Oh. :( Well, it'll get there sooner or later. :P And check your PMs.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Joe Kerr Avatar
I am looking forward to a lot, but I am also not looking forward to stuff like running out of keys or plugin space :P

I can't imagine running out of plugin space.

As for keys, a forum has 10 keys. It'd be pretty difficult to actually use 10 keys and not have codes interfere or just be...stupid. :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Jim Avatar
Joe Kerr Avatar

I can't imagine running out of plugin space.

As for keys, a forum has 10 keys. It'd be pretty difficult to actually use 10 keys and not have codes interfere or just be...stupid. :P

Honestly, with an easy way to store data, codes will use them more often.

On the contrary, lots of codes can store settings (what's often going to be put in plugins) in localStorage still and be fine. :P

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
I think really the most useful keys are the super user keys (of which I believe you only get 2 right?). I can definitely see you running out of those. I can also see the bigger forums going over 40 plugins especially since you may have to install a plugin to do a different thing on a different theme or board. Sure, people can get better in how they code the plugins, but there are ways ;)

Chris, is there a way for multiple plugins to use the same key?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Joe Kerr Avatar
I think really the most useful keys are the super user keys (of which I believe you only get 2 right?). I can definitely see you running out of those. I can also see the bigger forums going over 40 plugins especially since you may have to install a plugin to do a different thing on a different theme or board. Sure, people can get better in how they code the plugins, but there are ways ;)

Chris, is there a way for multiple plugins to use the same key?

Typically if it's different per template, it probably belongs in templates and not as a plugin. :P

And yep. Plugins should share keys with the same name automatically, I thought.

The other solution is a generic library that they all inherit (as a plugin) and have the key in that plugin. :)

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
You just have to be careful when sharing to make sure the codes don't mess with each others data....

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Joe Kerr Avatar
You just have to be careful when sharing to make sure the codes don't mess with each others data....

Ideally you prefix it with something of your code. If you want to share a plugin key, then you should prefix it with maybe your username. So my keys would be "cddude229_something_key"

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Ok that makes sense....I'll have to look into it next time I have a chance to code...

Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013 1:43:24 GMT by Joe Kerr

newBookmarkLockedFalling