Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
I'm in the market for a new monitor. Using a laptop is getting old fast. Was thinking about a Thunderbolt Display, but I don't know how I feel about dropping $1,000 on a monitor when a decent iMac costs just a little more.

My current battlestation at work is two, 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Haven't had any issues, so maybe I should just stick to getting one of these?

What kind of monitor do you use/recommend?

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Currently I use one Dell U2410 and one U2412M. I'm keeping an eye out for cheap 2412Ms to bring it up to three screens, but I really can't justify spending money on something like that right now. The only purpose of having a third screen would be for gaming, I'm plently-productive just working on two.

I used to work on a 27" iMac before I sold it, but that felt way too big for most things. I prefer the dual-24" arrangement.

Last Edit: Mar 1, 2013 19:44:17 GMT by Simie

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
Simie Avatar
I used to work on a 27" iMac before I sold it, but that felt way too big for most things. I prefer the dual-24" arrangement.

I'd sell mine too if there was a chip in the corner.

(That was you, right?)

I use a 27" Thunderbolt display at work and an ASUS VE278Q at home. I love them both. :)
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Benjamin Avatar
Simie Avatar

I'd sell mine too if there was a chip in the corner.

(That was you, right?)

I use a 27" Thunderbolt display at work and an ASUS VE278Q at home. I love them both. :)

It had a chip in one corner when it first arrived, they replaced it pretty quickly though (seems it was quite a common problem in the 1st gen 27" model).

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I spent a few hundred dollars to upgrade the screen on my laptop and it's gorgeous, so I'll stick with that. That being what it is, I can't really comment on good or bad monitors since I have virtually no experience with them. I've almost always been a laptop guy (other than back in the day when I was rocking a CRT), so the first time I put thought into a display, it was while customizing the actual laptop screen rather than buying a new one.

Some advice I would give as this is likely what I would do, is go to a store (BestBuy, Wal-Mart, wherever) and look at their monitors. Find the nicest looking ones and make note of their specs. Then go online and look for monitors with equal or better specs within your price range. Find the ones of those with the best reviews or that can give you the most bang for your buck and go from there. Because obviously it's a visual thing and just taking someone's word for it is about the most you can do. The only ones you can see in person and likely of a lesser quality than you want, but you can at least use those as a benchmark to gauge how something might look based off of its specifications. Basically, applying what you've seen to data describing what you haven't seen. It'll help you visualize. At least those are my thoughts on it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Over the summer I had a Thunderbolt (27" I think), so I rocked that and the MBP screen at the same time and it was pretty reliable.

I've yet to ever invest in using a second screen on my own though. I'm OCD enough that they'd have to be identical or I'd go crazy.... I should go get my 32" TV back from Ethan... that could work.

newBookmarkLockedFalling