Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Anyone here ever design a Windows Media Player Skin? :P

If not, would you ever consider it? :P
k

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Nope. And hell nope. WMP is a shunned media player by the majority of the internet and the majority of people due to the iPod. Hell, even Microsoft shunned it. The Zune only works with the Zune Marketplace, right?

Why design for something that no one uses? If I were to design a skin for a media player other than the crappy iTunes ones I used to do on Windows it would be for Foobar2000 but since that is Windows only and I don't use Windows anymore... yeah, not happening.

webmaren

webmaren Avatar
Una salus vicits, nullam sperare salutem

Dedicated Member

August 2007
No. I hate Microsoft.

I would, however, consider designing a skin for AmaroK because it is awesome. And those of you using Windoze or Macs, there will be a windows & mac version released in the next year or so with AmaroK 2.0

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
webmaren Avatar
No. I hate Microsoft.

I would, however, consider designing a skin for AmaroK because it is awesome. And those of you using Windoze or Macs, there will be a windows & mac version released in the next year or so with AmaroK 2.0

And it won't even touch how well iTunes and QuickTime work on OS X. And it'll only get better when Snow Leopard is released. :P

webmaren

webmaren Avatar

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Josh Avatar
webmaren Avatar
No. I hate Microsoft.

And it won't even touch how well iTunes and QuickTime work on OS X. And it'll only get better when Snow Leopard is released. :P

See, iTunes is rather bloated, and it's only real value is in the Music Store. Take that away and its just a really big music player.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
webmaren Avatar
Josh Avatar

See, iTunes is rather bloated, and it's only real value is in the Music Store. Take that away and its just a really big music player.

Honestly, it's not bloated on OS X. I have yet to find a better media player out there than iTunes on OS X and that includes Amarok.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
Fredy, GET RID OF WMP. And get Winamp.

- have you seen a preview of Quicktime X? :P

And you're right, it isn't bloated on OS X.

- The rule of thumb is that ANY software ported from one OS to another is going to be bloated. Plus why should apple give a crap about windows? ;D

P.S. The Amarok for Windows / OS X will most likely require the GTK runtime (and possibly X11 for OS X) - I'll just stick with iTunes.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Benjamin Avatar
Fredy, GET RID OF WMP. And get Winamp.

- have you seen a preview of Quicktime X? :P

And you're right, it isn't bloated on OS X.

- The rule of thumb is that ANY software ported from one OS to another is going to be bloated. Plus why should apple give a crap about windows? ;D

P.S. The Amarok for Windows / OS X will most likely require the GTK runtime (and possibly X11 for OS X) - I'll just stick with iTunes.

Since there is no preview for Quicktime X, no. :P It's just going to have support for things that my Quicktime can already do. I can play any format in Quicktime outside of DRM crap.

webmaren

webmaren Avatar

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Benjamin Avatar

You're thinking a little small. The KDE people are trying to port the entire K Desktop Environment. Amarok will be usable if KDE is installed. Just the way it works on Linux.

And if you're queasy about that, KDE owns the crap out of anything Windows has to offer, and can probably give Aqua a good run for it's money.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
webmaren Avatar
Benjamin Avatar

You're thinking a little small. The KDE people are trying to port the entire K Desktop Environment. Amarok will be usable if KDE is installed. Just the way it works on Linux.

And if you're queasy about that, KDE owns the crap out of anything Windows has to offer, and can probably give Aqua a good run for it's money.

You're a little outdated. Aqua hasn't been used by OS X since the dawn of Leopard. The desktop code was rewritten from the base (not a complete rewrite but close) up for Leopard. It still has aqua elements but they are being phased out (especially by the modding community. I currently have not a single shred of Aqua on my desktop except for the traffic lights which I really like. lol)

As for the port of KDE, why should I install something just so I can run another program? It's dumb. It's what you have to do on Windows with .NET or Java. If it's not there out of the box, write the program in a way that can be used by the computer. It's that simple. The KDE Port is ridiculous, in my opinion. It's a great replacement for the horrible Gnome interface but it just isn't up to scratch yet. And even still, iTunes runs flawlessly in OS X. Amarok runs (as far as I know) fairly well to flawlessly in a Linux environment. Ports never run as well on the system they are ported to. Never. And the integration that iTunes has with the entire system is irreplaceable. Anything that plays a sound uses iTunes/Quicktime to do it (other than system sounds, of course). Because OS X is closed, Amarok can't touch that and doubtfully would be able to before a new release is put out if Apple were to open their source up to people.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
I didn't know if you were in some sort of Alpha program for Snow Leopard (I saw a screenshot of yours a while back with an alpha version of Astra. I got PISSED). By the way, if you can find a DRM-stripper, just use that. I've been looking for one for a while, but no luck.

I'm probably thinking small to you but frankly, I don't give two hoots about linux/KDE/whatever. However, you're completely right in the sense that it owns windows. But.. Anything owns windows. As I said in another thread a week or so ago, the only way windows could ever become anything good is if it's completely re-written and based off of NeXtStep and BSD (Which is, effectively, one of the early versions of Mac OS).

I hope they don't get rid of the traffic lights.. I shit you not, they were the final reason I ended up buying a mac. If they do, they had better provide the current skin as an option in the future. I did the scrollbar thing a while back, and I'll NEVER go back to the aqua scrollbar (unless I have to use a tiger machine at work for something). Also, how did you manage to replace your web elements? Or do you not consider those Aqua? And by the way, I'd quote you above post word for word, minus the fact you already wrote it :P
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Solution to DRM: Don't download DRM

Solution to all things Mac customization related: macthemes2.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=2

And that was an easy alpha program to get into. Apple doesn't do alpha programs for non-essential developers and just curious people. :P

Last Edit: Aug 7, 2008 15:17:29 GMT by Josh

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
I've never owned a DRM song in my ilfe and never will. (Actually thats a lie if you count the songs my friend sent me from her legally purchased iTunes music that she thought i would "love")

Thanks for that link :D

And, maybe easy for you... but by the time I tried to signup they weren't accepting more testers. Bullshit if you ask me
Lucifer Avatar

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Benjamin Avatar
I've never owned a DRM song in my ilfe and never will. (Actually thats a lie if you count the songs my friend sent me from her legally purchased iTunes music that she thought i would "love")

Thanks for that link :D

And, maybe easy for you... but by the time I tried to signup they weren't accepting more testers. Bullshit if you ask me

I have a lot of experience in alpha/beta testing. I was a late addition. They technically weren't even accepting people anymore but I have an extensive list of programs, websites, and games I've privately beta tested. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling