Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
So today I was at Kristi's (girlfriend) house and she brought up one of our mutual friends who got her drivers license today. I was in drivers ed with the friend but it totally slipped my mind that today was the day we could get our licenses.

Because I didn't have my license, I rode my bike to Kristi's (it was only like 4 blocks). I figured out that I could get my license today, called my dad - he was home. I rode home as fast as i could, grabbed my social, birth certificate, and driving log, drove to the DMV with my dad, took my drivers test, and am now a licensed driver.

(Picture coming when I get off my ass and scan my license)

:D
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I never had to go to the DMV for my license. I took the test during a Segment II of Drivers Ed and then had to spend 10 minutes at Secretary of State to take a vision test and take my picture. I have the worst picture ever, btw.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Josh Avatar
I have the worst picture ever, btw.

Roughly 99% of licensed drivers strongly disagree with you, there.
wat

Jesse

Jesse Avatar
Just a mother doing graphic designing!

May 2007
Well you are doing better then me, Ben. I got my learners back in Feb. of this learn. I practice in one car and then when I go to take the test my husband and mom switches cars on me and I end up finally. Now me and my hubby has a new truck because our 1991 Chevy Astro Van's transmission went out on us just as my hubby was pulling into the drive at his work. (It only goes in first and second gear and this is the third time the transmission has gone out in this thing. This time it was a new transmission that went out on us and not a rebuilt.) So now I'm having to practice in a Dodge Care A Van and a 2001 Chevy Silverado crew cab. (Which I love I may add.) But the only thing is I don't have a problem driving in Houston traffic with the Van because I know where the corners are on it, but the truck is a lot bigger then the van and I don't know where the corners are yet, so I really don't want to drive in Houston with the truck yet until I get use to it. How I learned where the corners where on the van was play bumper cars on the freeway. j/k. I did learn where the corners where on the freeway, but I didn't bump into any cars. I actually feel better about driving on open road then in traffic. Thought about killing a couple of people that had really pissed me off by pulling right in on my nose in the van and then hitting their breaks, but I had my daughter in the car, so I didn't hit their 2009 Honda and shove them off into the ditch with my 1991 Chevy Astro Van. :P Man, some people are idiots around here that drive.
I don't do graphics anymore! Leave me alone about it!

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
Josh Avatar
I have the worst picture ever, btw.

I normally straighten my hair (i'm not emo.. or gay. promise.) but because it was so humid today i didn't bother. i was really surprised but there was a mirror right by the camera so you could see how you looked before they took the picture. and the lady was really nice and even let me see how it would look before they printed it. that rarely ever happens. haha.

but because of that, my picture isn't too bad. not the best because it's not what i normally look like but meh!

Jesse, have you ever heard of the enter/return key? haha. it sounds like you have an intense case of road rage though; you should be careful with that. listen to zen shit while you drive!

Last Edit: Jul 4, 2009 6:56:19 GMT by Benjamin
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

CannibalRobotics

CannibalRobotics Avatar
wut

Official Member

June 2009
I could have had my driver's license already but like I usually do I procrastinated getting my permit and now I'm to scared to drive. I blame my fear on my parents only having huge ass SUVs. Oh well, I have the booklets in my desk and I'm going to start reading them.

But anyways...

Congratulations Ben!

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
I just got mine two days ago as well :P

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
Man, I feel sorry for all the people who have to cross the street when you're in a car :o

Parker

Parker Avatar

February 2009
Wait do you have your actualy license or you just your learners license?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Parker Avatar
Wait do you have your actualy license or you just your learners license?

He's 16, actually only 11 days younger than my brother. lol. So yeah, probably actual license.

Parker

Parker Avatar

February 2009
Wow so in the US you can get your license that and be able to drive that quickly?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Nooooo.

At 13, 9 months I was able to take Drivers Ed Segment I. That was 24 hours of class over the course of three weeks and 6 hours driving time with an instructor. There was a 300 question test at the end in which you needed an 80% or better to pass the class.

After this I got a permit which allowed me to drive with a parent within the state. We needed 75 hours of driving time under this permit before we were able to take the 3 hour long Segment II. We also needed to be at least 6 months removed from Segment I. A 50 question test at the end of that segment.

Then I had to take an actual driving test where I was either passed or failed. That consisted of parallel parking, normal parking, and reverse parking, stopping and basic knowledge of the dashboard, and then 30 minutes worth of driving on a crowded street, a highway, a side street, and a downtown area.

Then I had to go to Secretary of State and fill out a little bit of paperwork, take a vision test, get your picture taken and that's it. I got a paper permit for a few weeks and they sent my actual plastic license to me by mail two and a half weeks later.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
In Illinois you have to have your permit for nine months.

They give you an instruction manual that you have to read through. Then after about a month of having the book, they administer a test over the instruction book - if you pass you receive your driving permit, or as we call it here, your white slip.

You have to wait exactly nine months from the day your get your white slip to be able to get your license. In order to get your license you also have to have 50 driving hours, with 10 at night.

After you get your white slip, you can sign up for drivers ed classroom, which teaches the rules of the road, what to do in specific situations, etc.

Assuming you passed classroom, you can then sign up for B.T.W. - behind the wheel. You have to have 6 hours of driving time behind the wheel with your instructor. They teach you things like turnabouts (pulling into an alley and backing out the opposite way), downhill/uphill parking, etc.

After you pass BTW, it's just a matter of waiting for your nine months to end. Then you go to the DMV to take your driving test. I had to do a left turn, a right turn, a downhill park, and a turnabout. No parallel parking, no reverse parking, nothing like that.

They take your picture right at the DMV, and print your actual plastic license right there, at the DMV.
Lucifer Avatar

Jesse

Jesse Avatar
Just a mother doing graphic designing!

May 2007
@park: In Florida you have to have your permit for a year, but you are also able to get your permit at the age of 15 there, but until you are 18 if you have your license you still have a lot of restrictions on it do to the fact that in Florida there are a bunch of minors that get into accidents after dark. Your can also get your permit here in Texas at 15 years of age, but I don't know how long you have to keep it. Since I am 21 I'm able to go at anytime I feel like I'm ready to take the driving test and take it.

: You really haven't driven in Houston traffic. We are rank 5th(if I'm remembering right) for the worst traffic in the USA. We have idiots that will actually run you for the road if your doing the speed limit around here. Like two days after me and my hubby got our new truck someone trying to get into the lane where my hubby was at hit my hubby from the side meaning to do it. My 2001 Chevy Silverado beat up his 2010 Dodge Ram. lol. The only thing that my truck has in it is a little ding and an ugly white stripe on the drivers side. The Dodge had a messed up fenders on the passenger side, a big ding in the door with a black stripe, and a broken passenger window. They don't make Dodges like they use to. (I'm a Dodge freak, but I like the older models with the old Hemis in them.) So if I have an intense case of road rage it is only because of the city I am in. To tell the truth when my daughter isn't in the car I have no problem with some of the idiot drivers on the roads around here, but when she is in the car I do because I have to worry about her safety instead of just mine.

Edit: The DMV or DPS as they are call here actually mails them to you with a week or to and you have a paper temp license until you get your actual license

Last Edit: Jul 4, 2009 18:51:50 GMT by Jesse
I don't do graphics anymore! Leave me alone about it!

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
Benjamin Avatar
In Illinois you have to have your permit for nine months.

Just enough time to fuck someone and have a baby.

newBookmarkLockedFalling